Department: Children and Youth Services
Position Title: Fiscal Operations Officer II
Pay Classification: P&A 07 (Starting $47,306 - $68,452 yr.)
Reports To: CYS Director
Date of Job Description Creation/Update: 2/1/21
Overall Descriptions of the Position:
This position is a supervisory and administrative position overseeing a complex fiscal operation for the Children and Youth Agency and Juvenile Probation Department. The accountant is responsible for administering the total fiscal operations and reporting procedures of the Children and Youth Agency, as well as all fiscal reporting requirements to the State and Federal government for the Juvenile Probation Department
Minimum Experience and Training: One year as a County Fiscal Officer 1; or Two years of accounting and/or budgetary experience and a business-related bachelor’s degree that includes six college credits in accounting; or Four years of accounting and/or budgetary experience and a business-related associate degree that includes six college credits in accounting or An equivalent combination of experience and training that includes or is supplemented by at least twelve college credits in accounting.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- The accountant performs professional accounting work involving analysis of financial transactions and prepares documentation, financial statements and reports to control and account for Federal, State and local funds, and to project financial data. Work involves reviewing and establishing internal processing procedures. Work is performed independently. Work must meet all Department of Human Services' regulations and other Federal, State and County regulations.
- The accountant is expected to keep the financial operations flowing smoothly with timely submission of reports, etc., so that the County will receive their reimbursements in a timely manner.
- This position requires Civil Service certification.
- This is a supervisory position, in that a fiscal assistant and fiscal officer I report to this position.
- This position is responsible for the preparation and submission of the County’s budget.
- This position maintains expenditure and budgetary control accounts including transferring of funds were needed; informing the CYS Director of necessary budgetary revisions; and preparing necessary reports relating to account and fiscal status.
- This position assists in preparing the Annual Needs Based Budget and Implementation Budget and distributes Federal and State funds to the necessary cost centers including Juvenile Probation; and submits all budget amendments as required.
- This position assists the CYS Director and County Fiscal Administrator in establishing financial policies and in making fiscal and administrative decisions regarding the CYS agency.
- This position oversees the Random Moment Time Study (RMTS) process to insure accurate information and timely submission of RMTS reports.
- This position oversees the collection and submission of Adoption and Foster Care Automated Reporting (AFCAR) information to the state and federal government for Children and Youth Agency.
- This position reviews correspondence, news sources, bulletins and technical literature, and departmental activities, and informs Director of significant developments and problems.
- This position monitors Title IV-E applications for Children and Youth and Juvenile Probation in order to check compliance with Federal Funding regulations.
- This position prepares Quarterly Reports of Expenditures under Act 148, correlating expenditures by Children and Youth and Juvenile Probation, for federal and state reimbursement of allowable expenditures.
- This position prepares quarterly Federal funding reports reflecting all expenditures for dependent and delinquent children eligible for Title IV-E funding.
- This position prepares quarterly Federal funding reports reflecting all expenditures for dependent and delinquent children eligible for TANF funding.
- This position monitors the application for Department of Public Assistance medical cards for all dependent and delinquent children in placement in order to assure compliance with the Medical Assistance program.
- This position keeps informed with current Federal and State regulations in order to determine allowable and non-allowable costs for reimbursement under Act 148 including Juvenile Probation.
- This position audits agency accounting system and updates and changes as regulations and reporting needs change.
- This position participates in the determination of division of costs of overhead between different cost centers. (Conducts time studies.)
- This position oversees the applications for Representative Payee for all dependent and delinquent children eligible for Social Security or SSI benefits. Also oversees the submission of the interim reports to Social Security Administration.
- This position maintains the agency checking accounts and foster children’s savings accounts.
- This position oversees the receipting in of a considerable volume of money received through the mail and by ACH for Children and Youth and Juvenile Probation – monthly deposits are made to the County Treasurer.
- This position posts and oversees the posting of expenditures and revenues to the accounting system used by the Children and Youth agency. This position reconciles all expenditures and revenues to the County general ledger.
- This position monitors all reimbursement checks from the Federal and State governments for Children and Youth and Juvenile Probation, in order to verify accuracy of accounts receivable and timely reimbursement.
- This position oversees the auditing, processing, coding, approval and submission of all invoices for payment to the County Controller on a monthly basis or as needed.
- This position oversees and monitors the tracking of all payments made through Domestic Relations for Children and Youth and Juvenile Probation.
- This position prepares requisitions and/or bid specifications for the procurement of office supplies, services and capital outlay expenditures.
- This position monitors and supervises the keeping of a physical inventory of all equipment and furnishings of the Children and Youth Agency.
- This position supervises the issuing of clothing allotments for children in out-of-home placements. Also monitors the fiscal aspects pertaining to children’s clothing allotments.
- This position prepares and submits all required quarterly fiscal reports pertaining to all grants the Children and Youth agency receives.
- This position helps in the preparation of applications for various grants.
- This position develops, negotiates and monitors all service provider contracts for Children and Youth and Juvenile Probation. This includes reviewing and monitoring of fiscal and accounting operations of program funded and fee-for-service provider agencies to see that all regulations are being followed.
- This position monitors the Children and Youth Agency’s petty cash fund.
- This position will gather the information and the submission of the CY28 on a quarterly basis.
- This position must work closely with the Department of Human Services, Bureau of Financial Operations, Social Security Administration, Office of Children, Youth & Family and the Mercer County Assistance Office in order to stay informed of any changes or questions. This position must also work closely with other county departments.
- This position has full and complete access and input to all confidential reports, records and data.
- This position is responsible for the guidance and evaluation of audits by the Auditor General’s office and the Single Audit Act. Liaison between auditors, providers and the County. Responsible for A133 audit requirements.
- This position must be able to transpose between a county fiscal operation on a calendar year and cash basis to a Children and Youth operation within the July-June state fiscal year and an October-September federal fiscal year within an accrual accounting system.
- This position must be available for meetings outside of regular working hours and traveling is required to attend PA Children and Youth Administrators conferences, Western region directors and fiscal officers’ meetings.
- This position completes all other related duties as assigned.
How to Apply:
Please send a completed and signed standard County application, a letter of interest, salary history, resume, and three references to the following:
Mercer County Human Resources Dept.
Mercer, PA 16137
Copies of College transcripts and clearances will be required upon interview.
Deadline to Apply: December 23, 2023